I put an Ohlins rear shock on my motorcycle. Doing so has
raised the motorcycle up a bit; and as a result the side stand was no
longer long enough in my opinion--I felt the motorcycle leaned over
too far when it was resting on the side stand, so I set off to fix the
I cannot take credit for this mod; I have seen some guys with
Dakars do it. Below is simply my version of the process.
I had a hockey puck at my office, so I didn't have to buy one.
What I did have to buy was 3 bolts, nuts and washers. If you are
thinking of doing this project, you need the following:
- A hockey puck
- Three 1/4" X 1-1/4" grade 8 bolts. (why grade 8?...
- Three 1/4" grade 8 nylon lock washers
- Three 1/4" grade 8 flat washers.
The first thing I did was to drill three 1/4" holes in
the foot of the kickstand. I made sure there was room to get the
nuts on the top of the foot. In other words, I made sure the
nuts did not hang off the edge of the foot and did not come in contact
with the bar part of the kickstand.
This is what it looked like when I was through drilling...
Next, I held the hockey puck under the kickstand foot where I
wanted it and marked the location with a silver-colored sharpie.
(Since it was only me, the next picture looks goofy, but you get
Once marked, I drilled the 1/4" holes through the puck.
Next, I took a 5/8" paddle bit and drilled out the bottom of the
puck where the newly drilled 1/4" holes came through. I drilled
just deep enough that the bolt heads and washers would be in the puck
and not make contact with the ground. In other words, the bolts
and washers are countersunk in the puck.
It was important that I did not drill too deep with the 5/8" paddle
bit... I did not want the end of the bolts sticking up too high.
The final step was to put on the nylon locking nuts and tighten it
up. I simply put a 7/16" socket in the countersunk holes on the
bottom and used a 7/16" wrench on the top and tightened the bolts up
just enough so that the ends of the bolts protruded above the nuts by
about 1/8". It looks like this...
Here's the final result...